The 1800’s & The 1900’s
The original St. Vincent’s Home dates back to 1884 when a Catholic order of nuns called the Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ created and ran the facility. St. Vincent’s was operated under their direct care until 1968.
The building and grounds that we know as the St. Vincent’s Home of today was constructed in 1968 adjacent to the old St. Vincent’s Home of 1884 at 10th & Sycamore in Quincy, Illinois.
From 1968 until 1990 various owners ran what was then called Lincoln Hill Nursing Home. In 1990, the owners went bankrupt and Wayne Messick, M.P.H. purchased the home and changed the name back to St. Vincent’s Home.
Wayne owned and managed St. Vincent’s Home from 1990 and Carlyle Healthcare Center from 1969 until his death in 1999, it was his life’s passion to serve in the healthcare industry.
In the years Wayne managed St. Vincent’s Home, he completely renovated the facility, added a new wing to the nursing home, laid the groundwork for Casita Catherine Assisted Living, demolished the old and condemned St. Vincent’s Building (The Christian Shelticenter), and added Catherine Kasper Independent Living duplexes in its place.
Wayne instilled a tradition of excellence and a return to a faith based facility under his leadership. He passed that torch and vision on to his wife and daughters’ families. They continue to own and manage St. Vincent’s Home today.